Gary Leff, author of ViewFromTheWing.com joins Dave and I on the podcast this week. There are two notable things about Gary.
1) He was basically the first miles and points blogger, and began in 2002! As I discuss, much of the style of many miles/points blogs have been adapted from him.
2) I find that when I meet up with Gary, and share some crazy secret deal I just found out about, he’s known about it for a year.
As we discuss, Gary has a large range of experiences that help give his writing expert-understanding and credibility. On one hard, Gary is a CFO in his “real job” (or one of them) and can understand industry financials…
On the other hand, he started an award booking service over a decade ago. Meaning, he’s called into the various airlines countless times. He’s seen things come and go, understands the space, and greatly understands the details of miles and points.
How To Listen
What We Discussed:
- Starting a travel blog in 2002
- Sometimes blogging means speaking your mind… Which can make airline reps mad.
- When to blog a deal, and when to keep it a secret.
- Funding checking accounts,
- Crazy deals of old, like “LatinPass”
- Schemes vs Scams.
- Damaging your IFE to get compensation, supreme court, and airlines banning customers.
- “People tend to undervalue peak experiences”
- Using miles to woo his wife.
- Earning hundreds of thousands of miles from the float on a BankDirect
- Gary talks about his friend Steve flying Thai farmers around Thailand for the miles.