The winning bad review, submitted by Janice, was called “Some rooms are Haunted”. Here is the review… plus my commentary:
Now I don’t mean to be insensitive about this crap, but… I just can’t help but notice something.
My wife can see ‘extraordinary’ beings.
Yea. Best opening of any review.
On the 2nd day evening, she started telling me that she sees ‘shadows’ in the room. We traveled 12 years together & this was the 1st time the situation was so intense that she asked to change room due to this kind of reason.
We spoke to the duty manager, he was not very accommodating. He changed us to another room on another floor.
Wait. He wasn’t very accommodating, but he changed you to another room, on another floor? What were you hoping for?
My wife said it was still ‘unclean’. At last, the duty manager found another bigger room but wanted us to pay more for it.
Ahhh. Alas, I see. Different room on a different floor, that wouldn’t help. But a bigger room, that would do it!
I felt unhappy because the problem was with the hotel room. However, it was already very late at night & I didn’t want to argue with him, so I agreed. We changed to the bigger room on another floor.
1 star? He moved you around. He told you the bigger rooms are more expensive, and he moved you (because it’s “unclean”) and you still complained? Wow.
Before the update:
Yes, this is a contest with a prize. But this is about something greater! It’s about a community coming together to find the most epicly dumb hotel TripAdvisor review online!
To participate, you need to share links to dumb TA reviews in the comments below. With many hands we’ll quickly have a page of funny/dumb reviews until we have the absolute most obnoxious/dumb review in existence.
Let me explain
Two days ago I posted about dumb hotel reviews – “Angry About Angries: Epicly Dumb Tripadvisor Reviews“. For whatever reason, I find these dumb reviews hilarious. I know, I need to get out of hotels more often. Anyways, the thought hit me, “how can I get more of these dumb reviews? … a contest!”
Readers! I call upon you to submit the dumbest reviews across TripAdvisor for a prize.
Here’s a picture to show how to get the link and see the number of reviews the reviewer has made before. If you want you can add a quote from the review or reason why it’s dumb/funny. Like, “here’s a review of someone who may be smart enough to find the hotel’s email online… but too dumb to use the booking function. So they left a bad review.”
- Has to be a hotel review on TripAdvisor.
- The reviewer has to have more than one review. (This is because there are so many reviews that are spam from competitors, which is a bummer). Although, if it was obviously not spam and funny enough knowing that, or just funny enough, I’d take it.
- Review has to be written before this week. In other words it has to have been written May 24th or earlier.
- DO NOT SPAM. Listen, this isn’t a spam contest, leaving tons of comments won’t help. Quality wins here. Quality over quantity. I’m thinking like 5 comments a day is too much. I spent days coming up with these (sad but it’s addicting) and left out 3 others.
Reviews must be submitted by June 10, 2014.
How To Submit
- Take the link of the review itself (as I showed in the picture above).
- Comment below with the link of the review.
–> You can also pull out quotes to help us get right to the humor, irony, or shockingly dumb part of the review. And give us a title of why it’s funny.
- Include your email address (it won’t be shown).
- We (or someone) will look through the submissions and pick out our favorites.
- Then we will give the (5?) dumbest reviews for the readers to vote on. Voting will be on June 10, 2014 on travelisfree.com.
- The winner gets a $100 hotel gift card to the hotel chain of their choice (one of the major brands).
What would be awesome is if I could contact one of the hotels to see if they would sponsor by giving a prize. So stay tuned and check back here… both for potentional prize updates and for funny reviews.
* Rules and details are based on whatever I want and could change if I have a reason.
Even if you don’t care about the prize, you should do this to help entertain and teach TA etiquette.
This is an attempt to create something hilarious. If you prefer I just have one boring page with 1,000 comments to enter… whatever, maybe I’ll do that next time. If you’d rather support this hilarious contest, please share this contest.
Let the games begin
Start by commenting below!