Master Chart of Earning Miles & Points From Credit Cards

For my “Cheapest Miles To” series, I pick a region and make a chart of cheapest mileage options. Then I go over all the best options, discounted mileage options, maximizing stopovers, and avoiding fuel surcharges.

Within the chart is “transfer partners” and it will mention Chase, Citi, Amex and SPG transfers. But this doesn’t actually give a view of which credit cards you can get to transfer, nor does it give a complete list of credit cards. Many partners have way too many partners to transfer from to put on a chart where the goal is to display cheapest mileage options, not how to earn.

This chart on the other hand has every credit card for each one of the mileage programs I go over. First I’ll give a chart of credit cards for earning airline miles, then hotel points. And then we’ll go over the smaller/lesser-known mileage programs and complete list for programs.

Master Chart of Earning Airline Miles from Credit Cards

both Amex Gold Cards,

Amex Platinum Card,

SPG

Korean Miles Chase Sapphire Preferred,

Chase Ink Bold,

Chase Ink Plus

Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Miles BOA Virgin Atlantic card Both Amex EveryDay Cards,Amex Green Card,both Amex Gold Cards,

Amex Platinum Card,

Chase Sapphire Preferred,

Chase Ink Bold,

Chase Ink Plus,

Citi ThankYou Premier,

Citi Prestige,

Citi Chairman,

SPG

Virgin America Elevate Miles Virgin Elevate Card Both Amex EveryDay Cards (2:1),

Amex Green Card (2:1),

both Amex Gold Cards (2:1),

Amex Platinum Card (2:1)

Master Chart of Earning Hotel Points from Credit Cards

The hotel chart may not be as complete yet, as there are lesser known options I found when doing Hilton. Hopefully I can find more of those for other programs. If you have suggestions for alternatives (meaning not from Chase/Citi/Amex) to hotel points (or miles), please comment below!

Hotel Points Hotel Card Transfer Partners

US Bank Club Carlson Business

Best Western Best Western Credit Card (not worth it!) Both Amex EveryDay Cards,

Amex Green Card,

both Amex Gold Cards,

Amex Platinum Card

Complete List of Bank Points Transfers

I did leave out some airlines, because I never write about or use them. But this is the complete list taken from What Credit Cards Transfer to Miles.

• American Express Membership Rewards points:
    Delta Skymiles, AeroMexico, Air Canada Aeroplan, Flying Blue (KLM & Air France), Alitalia MilleMiglia, Cathay’s Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, El Al Israel, Emirates Skywards, Frontier, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia Plus, Jet Blue, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Virgin Elevate, Virgin Atlantic, All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club
  • Chase Ultimate Rewards points:
    British Airways Executive Club Avios, Korean Air Skypass, Southwest Rapid Rewards, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
  • Citi ThankYou points:
    Asia Miles, EVA Air Infinity MileageLands, Etihad Guest, Flying Blue, Garuda Indonesia Frequent Flyer, Malaysia Airlines Enrich, Qatar Airways Privilege Club, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
  • SPG points:
    Aeromexico Club Premier, Aeroplan/Air Canada, Air Berlin, Air China Companion, Air New Zealand & Air Points, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, Alitalia MilleMiglia, All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club, American Airlines AAdvantage, Asia Miles, Asiana Airlines, British Airways Executive Club, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines’ Sky Pearl Club, Delta Airlines SkyMiles, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Airways, Flying Blue, Gol Smiles, Hainan Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Japan Airlines (JAL) Mileage Bank, Jet Airways, LAN Airlines LANPASS Kms, Miles and More, Qatar Airways, Saudi Arabian Airlines Alfursan, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Thai Airways International Royal Orchid Plus, US Airways Dividend Miles, United Mileage Plus, Velocity Frequent Flyer, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

Cards that actually transfer

• Chase cards that transfer to miles:
    Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold, Chase Ink Plus
  • Amex cards that transfer to miles:
    Both Amex EveryDay Credit Cards, Green Card, both Gold Cards, and the Platinum Card.
  • Citi cards that transfers to miles:
    Citi ThankYou Premier, Citi Prestige, and Citi Chairman

This doesn’t include the fact that you can combine Chase points from the Freedom card, the regular Sapphire card, or Ink Cash with a card that can transfer to miles (like the Chase Sapphire Preferred). So in a roundabout way you can earn United miles, for example, from the Freedom card.

Conclusion

There are a ton of options to earn miles out there, and while the “transfer partners” overlap quite a bit, there are still a lot of cards out there to earn miles and points with. In order to better understand how to use those points, check out 2 things:

1) My “Cheapest Miles To” series

2) My “Best Use” posts:

As well as the Complete Guides on my favorite miles and points:

There are many other posts out there, but this is a good start and seems to parallel the list above pretty well.

• No Related Posts

1. There are some other, not particularly lucrative that I can see, cards to earn miles for some of the non us programs. For example: http://anacardusa.com/en/regist.html

• I didn’t post REALLY low earning cards just because I didn’t want to endorse it at all.

2. Exactly the info I need today. Thanks Drew!

• Great, glad to hear it. Thanks,

3. Fantastic resource, Drew! Maybe I have South America on the brain because I am planning a trip next year but I noticed that Avianca Lifemiles doesn’t seem to have any transfer partners. They have the US Bank co-branded card (as does LAN) but no transfers. I wish someone would add them on!

• Thanks. Why are you so interested in Avianca over United or something?
      And where are you planning to go in South America? My guess is Brazil. :-p

4. Korean Airline does has it’s own airline card issued by US Bank, sometimes targeted for 40K bonus miles.

5. JAL has a US credit card too. http://www.jalusacard.com/en/jalcardusa.php
    I only heard of that one because I remember a blogger making fun of it because the signup bonus was a plush stuffed airplane of some sort.

• Didn’t know this one existed. Still won’t add this one either, not until it adds a bonus with miles, or brings back the stuffed plane. Didn’t see that!

6. ANA also has their own card, with a highly-generous 5k signup bonus and issued by the renowned, respected and worldwide-acclaimed “InfiBank”, whatever the heck THAT is …

• Yea… I think I’ll leave the 5k card off. :-p

7. Nice, you just need to add TYP to VS transfers on both lists.

• Thanks! Nice eye!

8. Excellent and succinct piece, TIF … You guys are clearly underrated.

Stumbled on this site fortuitously, and after the dozen or so pieces I have gone through since doing so, I can’t help but say kudos and thank you to the site owners for how well written and great these materials were.

I found them wonderful and very informative and can only imagine the herculean efforts behind the contents and can’t wait to tear into the site’s archives.

9. Thanks for your useful posts!!

I have a last-minute work trip coming up and just found out I can tack on some personal time to travel around. I want to get an app round in before I leave that would benefit me on the trip. Any thoughts on cards that give instant perks or value? Any luck in getting points to post earlier than first billing cycle if I were to meet the min spend and pay it early?
    I’m thinking Barclay’s Arrival bc I can use it to make travel purchases to reach min spend on the trip, then use points to erase charges, plus a Hilton card for gold status, but any other ideas?

10. drew domt you think citi prestige and citi thank you sould be under american ? as they not only earn free flights but you earn miles ? great post as always

• I don’t think Citi Thank You point earning cards should be nested under the American Airlines miles earning group. They don’t earn AA miles.
      And although Thank You points get a value boost towards AA purchases, they can be used for any airline purchase– they aren’t tied / restricted to AA.

11. Drew– love your site. And as someone that works in the IT data viz arena, you do a fantastic job. Your site has really taken off and soared since you and Carrie overhauled it last year (or was it sooner?) (PS: my fave is your ‘how to identify aircraft’ infographic. Just… useful!!)

Anyway, just wanted to point out, since you create so many ‘master’ resources, that the Barclay AAviator cards are AA-miles earning. Although the card cannot be applied for (is that why you excluded them??), they DO earn AA miles, and IMO should be part of any master list where someone is seeking to see all the various options for cards (they already have) on which to put spend.

Keep up the great work!

12. Another side point– as far as transfer parnters go… You’re highlighting the credit cards, not the program (e.g. specific Chase cards, not just “Chase UR”. Ok… a tad overwrought, but the *cards* is the purpose of this list.

Anyway, you’re missing the Chase Freedom card, though of course it should footnoted that it must be held in conjunction with a premium Chase card. But, as we all well know, Freedom (bonused) UR points definitely can and do find their way to United, Southwest, BA, Hyatt, etc etc…

13. Hello Drew,

New to this whole credit card/mile game and thanks to your awesome tricks thus far.

I am looking for another AMEX (currently have SPG) soon and torn between the Premier Gold and the Everyday Preferred. What is your thought on that? I primarily want to focus on ANA as my transfer partner.

14. Correction: You have the names of the Citi and Amex Hilton cards mixed up. It’s the Amex Hilton Surpass and the Citi Hilton Reserve.

15. Hi Drew, I stumbled upon the hobby when I planned a trip to Morro Bay CA, stopping at one Comfort Inn there. There was a stay 2x, earn a free night promo, so I applied for the no-fee Choice card. Then I googled “Choice rewards points” & this whole new world opened up. At first I was reading OMAAT, MMS, FTG, MP. And THEN I found your site. Wish I stumbled upon it sooner. This is the most concise, intelligently written site regarding the hobby, for both newbies and advanced. We still don’t travel much due to business but I certainly aim to maximize miles & points for that future time when we can. I assume your CC link on the upper right-hand corner is your affiliate link?