Travel Rewards Credit Cards

The Greatest List of Hotel Best Rate Guarantees

The greatest list of hotel Best Rate Guarantees ever. Well… as long as it’s the only one I know of, I’ll continue to claim that title. (Don’t tell me if there’s a better one I prefer ignorance, and the title). But really, here is the best rate/price guarantee policies for most major chains, some small chains, and some online travel booking sites.

I don’t mention some hotel chains, simply because they don’t offer one (a Best Rate Guarantee). Well, they usually offer to match, but… might as well book on the other site then and not go through the trouble. Although, I get it, it’s supposed to add peace of mind to booking. But it also saves hotels money not to dish out to the booking sites.

These are in some kind of relative order. Mostly top down on what I would go for. Understand it’s preference though. I prefer a free night for a one night stay. However, some people have 14 night stays and thus the Marriott 25% off, would be killer. But it’s not about the order, it’s about the info.

Major hotel chains:

Smaller Chains:

Online Travel Agencies:

Tips:

• Change currency
  • Click through and verify the price
  • Look for the final price. Sometimes the big bold price has a little price under it that includes taxes and fees.
  • Same cancelation policy
  • Always book cancelable rooms
  • With IHG it has to be able to book in that currency. This is particularly annoying because if you find a rate much cheaper on a different site in USD instead of Euro (or whatever), it is invalid if it does not take payment in the same currency.
  • Sometimes an OTA’s site will display slightly different results based on the country. I.e. expedia.de instead of .com.
  • There are tons of sites that seem to offer lower prices every time, but the site will never lead to a valid BRG. Perhaps they take a $20 deposit or are only non-refundable. There are a number of these goofy sites, remember to avoid those, like logitravel.
  • Free nights (with IHG or Choice) do not give elite night credit or points (in theory at least)

Search aggregators (to find BRGs):

• Kayak.com (and its different version for each country)
  • hotelscombined.com
  • trivago.com
  • google.com/hotels
  • www.room77.com

More in depth posts can be found here:

I did this mostly for myself, but figured this could be very useful for other people, although very different than most of the posts on here. Still, I want to know more Best Rate Guarantees, so if you have any more links, programs, or info to add, please do so below!

1. This is great. After reading your initial post on IHG’s BRG, I looked up some hotels for NYC in December and was able to get a BRG for a room in Chelsea.

• Oh wow, nice find. Congrats. Being on Manhattan is for sure a better experience than being in Newark :-p Like our first time there.

• Is this at the Hotel Indigo?

2. hmm this was totally taken from a BoardingArea blogger.

• lol :-p yea, copy and pasted.

• Well, any list of BRG is going to be very similar… so I don’t see how you could accuse someone of taking something that he compiled from the individual hotel websites. I think it’s an excellent resource.

• I assumed Drake was joking…
      But… maybe he wasn’t. :-/ Oh well. :-p

Surprisingly, I spent way more hours on this post than most. I was looking for BRGs I never heard of… using google. Hopefully those extras come in handy for someone.

• very useful thank you!

3. Does anyone know if Orbitz and Travelocity allow you to keep the coupons if you cancel the reservation? I know Expedia does.

• You can report back. Would love to know. :-p I do know that some of them just give you a valid coupon code. 😀 Only one way to find out.

• It looks like Travelocity deactivates the coupon if you cancel the reservation. I don’t know about Orbitz yet.

Also, Best Western will match a better price and give a $100 travel card when a BRG claim is approved.

• Good info.

I thought Best Western quit doing that BRG a couple of years ago. Did they bring it back… again?

• Oh wow! This is great news! Thanks for sharing! I’ll be dern.

• Orbitz will deactivate your code as well. I’m not as keen on the OTA BRGs because it locks you into buying from them again in the future, even if their rate isn’t the lowest. Maybe not a big deal for frequent leisure travelers, but I’d rather have the flexibility.

I have had good results with BRGs from Orbitz, Expedia, Marriott, and Hilton recently, but I had a lot of trouble with Cheaptickets. To their credit, they offered me $50 towards a future booking even though I cancelled the room. It’s amazing how much worse their customer service was, compared with Orbitz, considering CT is owned by Orbitz.

• Thanks for the info about obritz. Cheaptickets was a pain as they denied me for a room in a test. It was a hotel with 1 room type. I kid you not they denied the claim saying it’s a different room type. I emailed basically saying, “are you kidding me? There’s one room type.” and then cancelled. Apparently it got pushed through to customer service of some sort. Ended with me getting a cheap ticket code for $50. So sometimes dumb works in your favor, as you noticed.

However, OTA’s ideally are better if they do NOT have the better rate, that way I can BRG with a coupon. 😉 BUT, I find the process more difficult and that ends up being an ideal. YMMV I guess. But I agree with your list.

4. For a BRG with Intercontinental, does the 1% difference in price have to be before or after taxes and fees or both? Also, how long does it usually take for you to receive a response?

• Everything has to be all in after taxes. mm… usually within 24 hours I’d say.

5. Do you happen to know if you can stack $100 gift cards from Best Western? For example, if I found 2 BRGS over a period of time and then found a $200 room later, can I use both towards that $200 room? By the way, the content of your site is phenomenal!

6. The Marriott BRG (or LNF) is probably the best BRG in the industry now. It reacts fast and presents no excuses. Much better than Hyatt or Hilton. I have a 90% approval rate. The only thing that could be improved is the prohibition on ‘voucher sites’ for non-US properties.

7. With the merger of multiple online booking agencies like Expedia and Travelocity, do you know if you can claim a BRG through each site for different days? For example, I found a BRG for a Monday night through Expedia, then I found one for Tuesday through Travelocity. So can I have separate claims? Or are they on the same system now and able to see me doing this?